[Amps] Future of RF AMPS

dsolberg at wi.rr.com dsolberg at wi.rr.com
Wed Sep 11 07:29:37 EDT 2013

Helge Granberg (SK) wrote a Motorola engineering bulletin many years ago, EB104, that used (4) MRF 150's for 600 watts.  The circuit board for this is available from CCI, and many hams, myself included, have built this amplifier.  The circuit design is good but the printed circuit board leaves a lot to be desired.  Several commercial amplifiers have evolved from this design including Ameritron and Tokyo Hy Power.  Tokyo Hy Power replaced the MRF150's with SD2933's.  UA3QLC, and other hams in Russia, have also taken the EB104 PCB and enlarged the MOSFET openings for SD2933's.  They are getting 1KW with this change.

Ken Holland, K9FV, and I (K9AQ) have designed a new printed circuit as an alternative to EB104.  This PCB is made for the SD2933's. This design incorporates a lot of the modifications that hams have done over the years to EB104, as well as using a transmission line transformer for the output.

I have completed bench testing of the new amp and I am in the process of putting it in the cabinet that previously was used with my EB104 board.

After we get a few more of these built and tested by some other hams, we will make this PCB available at cost, which is around $40.

This is NOT a project for an inexperienced SS amp builder!  Used SD2933's are available once in awhile at low cost, others wise they are about $100 a piece, so making a mistake can be costly.  While the amp is working quite well with around 1KW output, I am sure there are some minor circuit tweaks that still could be done.

I have written an article on improving the EB104 design with a transmission line transformer, but it has not been published.  I will be glad to share it, if you drop me an email.  My email is correct on QRZ.

73,

Don
K9AQ

I will also be writing an article on the new SD2933 amp when I find some time.