[Amps] Workshop Danger

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Fri Sep 13 08:44:41 EDT 2013

In the process of building an experimental airplane, I watched my
partner cut a hole on his milling machine, which has a variable speed
drive.  Running at the very low speed, the large hole saw changes
personality and becomes a responsible and docile tool.  My present drill
press has a minimum rpm of 500, which is way too fast.  Looking around,
I found some 12 speed drill presses that drop down to about 200 rpm,
which I thought was still too fast.

The answer was the purchase of a drill/mill with a variable speed
motor.  The price is reasonable and it will make hole cutting better.  I
have one on order now.

I am not sure why drill presses use capacitor start motors and have not
yet adopted the variable speed motors that the hand drills use, but for
those who wish to save money, you can remove the capacitor start motor
from the drill press and replace with a variable speed motor and end up
with a much more versatile drill press.

And, yes, I have thrown a piece of metal across the room and embedded
into the wall, courtesy of a drill press.

73,  Colin  K7FM