[Amps] Making holes for amps

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Fri Sep 13 10:29:55 EDT 2013

Although there is a milling machine in the shop we are building our
airplane, we had one job where it would not work.  We needed to make
slots in our wing.  I designed a tool that works nicely for that purpose
and could also be used for making square holes in aluminum chassis.

I had an old Sears X-Y drill press attachment and made a small fixture
to hold a Dremel tool which held a 1/8" milling bit.  I then placed this
on the surface of the area that needed to be slotted and secured it.  We
ended up with perfect slots.

I think the same thing could be done using a small milling bit attached
to a router, (if you make an adapter) then make an alignment jig to
control the direction and end stop of the router. The setup will take
longer than the cuts.

73,  Colin  K7FM