[Amps] Rectifier equilization?

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Fri Sep 13 14:40:58 EDT 2013

  When using direct conversion receivers or Zero IF frequency SDR receivers it is important to have capacitors across
all rectifiers in all the power supplies if possible.
  Sometimes Local Oscillator leakage thru the power line coupled to the power line by some other means, gets is
modulated by the changing impedance of the diodes at a 120 Hz rate and you will hear a constant buzzing sound.
The signal introduced by the local oscillator to the power line is amplitude modulated by the diodes switching on and
off and picked up again by the receiver. The AM signal is at the same exact frequency the receiver is tuned to and
the sidebands are demodulated.
  This same effect is sometimes noted when you tune in your own transmitted signal, lets say a CW signal, and you hear
a hum on the carrier which is not heard at the far end. The RF in the shack is being modulated in the same way. The hum
is only noticed in the shack but not on the signal going out the antenna.
73
Bill wa4lav