[Amps] Rectifier equilization?

Ian White gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Sun Sep 15 02:41:12 EDT 2013

It is NOT necessary to use "equalizing" resistors or capacitors across
rectifier diodes in the 1N400x and 1N540x series... or any other
rectifier diode manufactured in the last 30 years.

That advice has been in the Power Supplies chapter of the ARRL Handbook
since 1995. The chapter author was a professional power supply designer
for a well known US company, and he confirmed that the information had
come directly from major diode manufacturers.

Also, the economics have changed. Today, the cheapest way to double the
reverse surge handling capacity of a HV rectifier stack is simply to
double the number of diodes in each string. To update an existing PC
board, strip out the old "equalizing" Rs and Cs, and then double the
number of diodes by standing them vertically in the existing holes and
connecting the pairs in series.

73 from Ian GM3SEK