[Amps] Rectifier equilization?

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Sep 16 13:39:05 EDT 2013

> Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 14:14:09 -0400
> From: "Carl" <km1h at jeremy.mv.com>
> To: "Ian White" <gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk>, <amps at contesting.com>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] Rectifier equilization?
>

>> Also don't forget the benefits of a mains filter. As well as filtering
>> high-frequency impulses coming backward out of the power supply, the
>> filter will reflect most of the high-frequency components of any
>> incoming surges.
>>
>> 73 from Ian GM3SEK
>
> Ive been using HB line filters for decades on everything from home
> electronics, vintage radios scattered around the house, vintage and modern
> ham gear including amps, test equipment, etc. It started when I built a
> very
> competitive contest station in the 80's and wanted to keep family and
> neighbors out of my hair. It grew once consumer electronics became a
> scourge
> and I became obsessed with a clean AC line as well as what was coming in
> on
> feedlines and control cables.
>
> Large full house MOV's are installed in the mains box right after the 200A
> breaker.
>
> Carl
> KM1H
>
> ##  I see that W8JI depicts an interesting line filter on his site....with
> a choke
> in  both 120 vac hot legs..and also the neutral. 3 in all.  Then a .01uf
> cap from each
> of the 120 vac chokes..to neutral....so 4 caps in all.   Then u end up
> with both differential
> and common mode filtering.

** As usual he doesnt bother giving credit for whatever he puts up on his
non stop web pages.
Ive been using that style filter for about 3 decades and found it in some
electronic design mag at work. It was one of those write ups by the company
that was selling them. Also mandatory for secure facilities doing DOD work
or one of those letter agencies.

> ##  Huge movs at the 200A main panel works good.  2 are used, each rated
> at 130 v.
> wired from each hot to neutral. They are individually  fused of course.
> Then u are protected
> by spikes down each side of the line..and also across the 240.

** You can also use a .01 from each leg to neutral.

> ##  If u are real hardcore... you could also use a SOLA  to feed your
> RX...or if big enough, your
> xcvr or other devices.   the harmonic neutralized types will turn dirty
> power from the street  into
> clean power on its output.  Plus the output V  remains constant.   If you
> are extreme hardcore, then
> place the line filter in front of the SOLA.
>
> Jim  VE7RF

** The only place I use a SOLA is on the 2 PC's in the "home office" when Im
running on generator power. There is also one of those all purpose filters
there to keep crud from getting into the AC line. The PC's, monitors and
both laser printers are on it plus the cable modem, router and several
switching type wall warts.

I do use Faraday shielded isolation transformers on the SS gear as the final
brick wall for spikes; dont know if it helps but I havent had any damage.

Carl
KM1H