[Amps] Re Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, supply

peter chadwick g8on at fsmail.net
Wed Sep 18 12:43:02 EDT 2013

Manfred,

I am afraid you are missing my point. What you can do safely as a professional engineer is not the same as the average amateur building at home. For example, getting the necessary spacing between PCB tracks, making an RF transformer which meets a 2kV breakdown - these are things (and not the only ones) that the average homebrewer could get into trouble with. Especially if they take any short cuts such as deciding to earth the neutral.

Many years ago now, there was an article in QST entitled "Just like the QST article except...": it went into how people made minor changes to the published design and had problems.

I could see the same article being required again......

While to see one result of an inadvertent earthing      http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Barnham1962.pdf

73

Peter G3RZP