[Amps] Re Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, supply

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Sep 19 13:28:27 EDT 2013

On 9/19/2013 9:01 AM, Bill Turner wrote:
> Could you elaborate on this a bit? I assume the difference is
> how the neutral is used or not used. Is that correct?

The key differences in power distribution around the world boil down to
four factors. 1) Voltage and frequency 2) How and where the neutral and
earth conductors are bonded together, and how they are distributed
around the building; 3) the plugs used; 4) protection devices like
GFCIs. In EU, power is at double our voltage and is fed from
center-tapped transformers, but because the line voltage is 220-240V,
few homes need both sides of the transformer. Also, most of EU places
serious limits on Power Factor, mostly looking at the Harmonic component
of load current.

There's a rather thorough discussion of much of this in a "white paper"
I was commissioned to write several years ago on power and grounding for
professional audio and video systems. It's on my website.
http://k9yc.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC