[Amps] Re Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, supply

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sat Sep 21 04:21:12 EDT 2013

On 9/20/2013 1:53 PM, Bill Turner wrote:
> ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)
>
> On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:42:04 +0200, Peter wrote:
>
>> Bill,
>>
>> The supply is a neutral (which is theoretically at ground potential and actually may be so, or very close to it) and a single phase 240volt line - in my case 234, as it happens. The neutral is the centre point of the star connected (wye connected) sub-station transformer secondary, is grounded at the transformer and various places along its run. That run maybe in older installations a lead sheathed or steel wire armoured cable, with red yellow and blue phases on it, and in newer installations can be aluminium sheathed. The sheath or the armouring can be the neutral or there may be a neutral wire as well. Each house gets a tap of neutral and one phase, so house 1 gets red phase, house 2 gets yellow phase, house 3 gets blue phase and they all get the neutral. By using the aluminium sheath as neutral, "advantage may be taken of higher technology cable" i.e. cheaper!
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Peter G3RZP
>
> REPLY:
>
> Ok I think I understand. It sounds like the system we used many years ago
> before 240 V service to houses became common.

Nearly 70 years ago, here in Lower Michigan, our old farm house had the
same feed we have now except the voltage was 220 instead of 240 nominal
and maybe  a 30 A service with screw in fuse blocks following a pair of
cartridge fuses about 4 or 5" long by roughly 5/8" dia all on a board.
The house was fed with a center tapped 220, plus neutral for 110 each
side.  There was no fuse panel as we think of them.  Most of the outlets
were 2 wire.  Half the house still had knob and tube with fabric
insulation.<:-))  But we did have 110-0-110 for a 220 feed.  It was
still a nominal 110-0-110 into the late 70s.  Kitchen range was 3 #6
feeding 220. I'm not sure when they went to 230 and 240, but it is 240
at present and AFAIK it's been 240 since we moved here in 84, 29 years ago.

73

Roger (K8RI)

In the early days each house