[Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp,

Peter Voelpel dj7ww at t-online.de
Sun Sep 22 13:54:48 EDT 2013

Yes, transformer less power supplies are great.
I used them extensively with my big sweep tube amps in the seventies.
Those were using all three phases and both polarities with one way
rectification, doubler and tripler circuits, to get a maximum of 1800V out
under full load.
Anode voltages could be switched from 620V to 1860V in 310V steps.
Was big and heavy, but much less weight then with a transformer.
Total amount of capacitors used was 140mF (140000µF).
The output voltage dropped from 930V to 910V for instance when I drew 10A
with the sweep tube tablet and used the -310 and +620V circuitry.

73
Peter