[Amps]  Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp,

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Mon Sep 23 01:10:31 EDT 2013

##  Good point.   My yaesu  FT-1000D  sucks 1050 VA  from the wall plug, yet
only puts
200w into a dummy load.   It only runs 50% PA eff too.   So 400 w dc input
to get 200w output.
It doesn’t use a switcher either....just a huge torroid.

##  But sucking 1050 VA is plane nuts.  That implies a .2 PF.
Heck, any tube type kw linear amp is way better than that, typ with a .85 to
.90 PF.

## Has anybody actually measured the PF on a transformerless supply, with a
big C filter ???
I cant see it being any worse than your typ kw tube amp....with the typ xfmr
+ FWB / Doubler +
high C filter.   Another option would be to use a transformerless supply + a
choke input or
resonant choke input.

## Your typ commercial 1.5 kw CCS  SS  amp is huge $$ these days.  The
switching supply is the
cheapest part.   $475.00  for a 3.3 kw CCS  switcher...... and unity/perfect
PF to boot !   So the real savings
in any transformerless scheme is minimal at best......and NO PF correction
either.    You could probably
series 2  or more  switchers in series for more VDD.

Jim   VE7RF