[Amps]  Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp,

Leigh Turner invertech at frontierisp.net.au
Tue Sep 24 20:40:06 EDT 2013

Yes all that you mention below is correct Jim. That's why I commented in an
earlier post that an individual QRO amp builder would get away with doing
this questionable 3 kW power supply realization technique, but no commercial
SS amp manufacture would be able to do this due to the electrical codes in
respect of EU power factor rules and product compliance certification.

The above comment is made notwithstanding Manfred's keen advocacy for
building a direct mains powered isolated RF power amplifier this way. I
think we can concede if done competently it would be safe enough when
sufficient caution is exercised during testing...as we all do with our
potentially lethal 3+ kV tube amplifiers!

Leigh
VK5KLT