[Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp, VDD Supply

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 25 00:22:58 EDT 2013

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 16:07:13 +0000, Manfred wrote:

>One cannot simply connect
>any oscilloscope to it! Either one has to use an isolation transformer
>during testing, or one has to float the oscilloscope too, which is quite
>inconvenient.

REPLY:

There is a better way if you have a dual-channel scope. Use both channels in
ADD mode and set one of them to INVERT and DO NOT connect the probe ground
to anything. That way both probes are "floating" and either one can be used
for hot, ground or anything else. Neat trick I learned working at Tektronix.
73, Bill W6WRT