[Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to power the amp, VDD Supply

Manfred Mornhinweg manfred at ludens.cl
Sat Sep 28 13:46:59 EDT 2013

Leigh,

> ...or rather than conjecture one could simply ask the savvy RF application
> engineers at Microsemi whose role and raison d'?tre it is to ensure their
> MOSFET RF power products are properly and optimally used.

You are right, but I'm too timid to do that! Even before answering any
question, the usual thing is to get a questionnaire asking things like
what one's expected monthly need for those transistors will be! If I
then have to answer that there will be no monthly need, but rather just
the possibility of a one time purchase of one device, or perhaps two or
four, depending on the case, and maybe a publication in QEX that might
lead to another five people also buying one device each, there's usually
a much reduced eagerness on the part of the semiconductor company's
people to spend any time on the matter. And I can't blame them.

It would be very different if I were designing an amplifier to be
manufactured in large quantities. In that case I would ask, and would
expect meaningful, correct answers, or I would look at another parts maker.

This situation is particularly bad for people living in countries that
have no electronics industry, like mine. If someone from the USA or
Germany or Japan or China asks, the people at the semiconductor company
might simply assume that he is potentially an important customer, and
not even ask any questions. But if someone from Chile asks - forget it!
It's clear to everyone that he can only be a hobbyist or student or
maybe a professor, but not someone who will buy in quantity. So, no
replies, and no free samples either!

Manfred