[Amps] antenna analyzer.

Paul Decker kg7hf at comcast.net
Sat Apr 5 15:05:36 EDT 2014

Hello amp builders,

I've been attempting to convert some commercial vhf and uhf amplifiers over to the ham bands.  The gear operates in the 150 Mhz and the 550 Mhz range.

Someone a while back said I could use one of the fancy impedance analyzers to tune the input and output circuits.  I'm wondering if this really works?  Before making any changes, I tested the input and output circuits, and the best "match" the analyzer could see was a 6:1.

What am I typically supposed to see when using this method?  Does this 6:1 imply resonance?  Does the input and output change that much when voltage is applied to the tube?

thanks in advance,

Paul,
kg7hf