[Amps] 4CX1600B options

Leigh Turner invertech at frontierisp.net.au
Sat Apr 5 20:37:49 EDT 2014

John,

Had it been 10 years ago, the logical replacement for the 4CX1600B tube was
the mil-spec GU-84B with its larger 2500 Watt plate dissipation and
prodigious power output capability that would restore the Titan amplifier to
full spec, plus some.

These excellent SSB linear tubes were not so well known outside of Europe,
but have since been popularised by ham amplifier manufacturers resulting in
supply/demand forces driving the once excellent prices up into the
stratosphere to the point where other tube options are now more cost
effective, e.g. the Chinese FU728F tube which is well worth considering.

The rugged mil-spec FU728F is a beefier 4CX1000A/1500B on steroids that will
yield greater linear power output; otherwise these latter tubes that you
already have will be adequate substitutes in the Titan II 416 amp with the
appropriate tube operating condition changes.

As you note the screen regulator in the 416 is nothing to write home about,
and improvements could be made there. One could consider retrofitting a
G3SEK tetrode control board to effect an excellent improvement to the Titan.

73

Leigh
VK5KLT