[Amps] HF2500 Power Supply Caps

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Mon Apr 7 09:35:24 EDT 2014

I'm using microwave oven fuses, rated at 5kV and available in various
current ratings, up to 900 mA. They can be paralleled for higher currents.
They look like elongated 3AG fuses, and fit in 3AG fuse clips. I had one
blow recently at 2700V, because of a tube short, and it worked well,
although the glass body exploded into tiny pieces.  They're available on
eBay, cost about a dollar in quantities of 20, including shipping from
China.

I have no data on the fuses. In my experience a fuse will last for minutes
at its rated current, with the interrupt time growing shorter as the current
overload increases. I'm guessing these fuses blow in a couple mS when
something shorts the HV supply, but haven't tried to measure the time. Would
be hard to do without specialized equipment.
73,
Jim W8ZR

fault
> current is  120 A.   Stuff 120 A  through
> a 1 A rated fuse...and you will soon see it blows open pretty damn quick.
> Even with a 50 ohm glitch and same 3 kv,
> the 60A fault current will still open up a 1 A rated fuse very fast.
>
> ##  You could put the scope across the cold end of the last resistor  in a
> HV multiplier string.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Electrical/Resou
rces/produc