[Amps] HF2500 Power Supply Caps

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Mon Apr 7 14:40:23 EDT 2014

Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 15:54:19 +0100
From: Steve <g8gsq72 at gmail.com>
To: amps at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HF2500 Power Supply Caps

Make sure your transformer is up to it - big caps can mean higher peak
currents and more I^2xR in the windings.

Steve

## I thought the same thing.  I used PSUD to see the results  with various
values used.
In actual usage, there is no issue.....provided the xfmr is the low Z type,
which most are.   The ones that heat up a bit are always the high Z
types..... made for choke input supplies.

##  Using PSUD, you can look at both the peak value of each pulse...and also
the duration.    Years ago, I went through this with the late Peter Dahl. He told me
I could use as much C on his xfmrs as I could.  He was correct

I didnt see any increase in xfmr heating when the 200 uf caps in one of my Drake
L4B  supplies  was supplemented externally with 8 x 2300uf caps.

Jim   VE7RF