[Amps] ALS-600 vs ALS-1300

Roger roger at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Apr 11 00:13:12 EDT 2014

On 4/10/2014 12:30 PM, Vic Rosenthal K2VCO wrote:

Too bad the Tokyo Hy Power amps are no longer made. They were good
looking, well made, good performing amps

> First, I agree with W6WRT. For DXing, especially on 80/160m, you should
> have a legal limit amplifier. If you want to operate RTTY or AM, you
> also want one that can do it for a long period of time without burning up.

DXing, contesting, or satisfaction, that extra 3db sometimes makes a a
big difference!

> Having said that, what about quality and reliability? One place to look
> is at the reviews posted by users at eham.net. Don't laugh -- I know
> that many of the reviewers are less than competent. But when there are

There are a lot of over rated  (by the manufacturers) on there, that are
not capable of running that much power without self destructing.  Legal
limit amps that are only good for that on low duty cycle that receive
glowing reports.

But look for problems and if they are prevalent in that amp.

An occasional "Terrible service, or bad attitude" may not mean a lot.
Most of us have known people who couldn't give a complement with out
upsetting the recipient. People answering telephones often do not
respond well to this personality.<:-)) A polite approach will often get
outstanding service. I was a project manager for a large, multinational
corporation with engineers and techs in the teams, so maybe I saw more
than my share of these types<:-)) Although I think I had some pretty
good teams.

73

Roger (K8RI)