[Amps] Filter capacitors

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed Apr 23 17:22:39 EDT 2014

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:07:20 +0200
From: peter chadwick <g8on at fsmail.net>
To: amps at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Filter capacitors

Bigger capacitors also means bigger peak rectifier currents. Depending on the duty cycle of the load, it could lead to more transformer heating. If it's for an SSB application, there shouldn't be a problem as long as the rectifiers aren't too wimpy. If you're talking continuous duty, it needs looking at.

73

Peter G3RZP

##  IF the xfmr is a low Z type... IE:  low sec dc resistance... higher C is usually never an issue.  Sure the peak current through the rectifiers is higher, but the duration of the pulse is a lot shorter.
Model it in PSUD...and you will see that the average current stays the same.    The average current is typ the same as the load current.   On these old style plate xfmrs..with high sec dc resistance...
that were made for choke input, they will get a little warmer when run in a high C config.   The saving grace is the duty cycle on the diodes is only 50%..whether it’s a FWB..or a FWCT.

##  stuff some 1N5408s  or better yet  6A10s in there..and peak current every 8.3 msecs is a non issue.   Typ what happens is the Z back on the mains line to the main panel is high enough that it wont
allow the peak currents to flow.  You can model that effect in psud as well.... by adding some more Z  to the primary of the xfmr in question.   For an experiment, I have doubled, tripled and quadrupled
the OEM C..and ran the  supply in CCS mode.... like a cxr into a dummy load, etc... and noticed no additional temp rise on the diodes, nor the xfmr.

##  with the low Z xfmrs, higher C is a non issue.  Same deal  no additional heating.   On those,  I have increased the OEM C  by as much as 12 times..with no increase in heating.   Ripple is
then proportional to C.   Double the C..and ripple drops in half.   Dynamic regulation is much improved.   Static regulation is also improved.  But you al;so have to be careful  with glitch R values..
and wattage of them.   Also... any C  plus the glitch R  forms a RC  time constant.  Hence  my use of a  fast HV fuse inline with the glitch R.

##  On all these  old amps and old TXs  from years gone by... lytics were only available in small values...at least ones that would fit inside the cabinet.    Drives me nuts watching the 3% ripple when looking
at my RF monitor scope..with a cxr into a dummy load.   You don’t get that  with just the xcvr alone by itself...and  scope re-tweaked for the same full height display.    Triple the C..and ripple is now
down to an acceptable  1%.

Jim  VE7RF