[Amps] Alpha 76 "SNAP" noise

John G3UUT amps at grebe.plus.com
Tue Dec 23 18:59:30 EST 2014

Sorry folks, are we talking about the string of smoothing electrolytics
or a ceramic RF filter cap here?  I'm curious about this as when I
switched my 2m amp on recently which hadn't been used for about a year
there was a regular series of 'snaps', the frequency of which gradually
diminished as it warmed up.  I was worried by this but it didn't seem
catastrophic and seemed to be improving with time so I left the amp on.
By the end of the contest the amp was usable (typical) - I couldn't
really use it earlier as the snaps put quite a high level pulse of QRM
into the RX path.

73 John G3UUT