[Amps] Power from Pair of Eimac 4 x 150 a / 7034?

Don Allen w9cw at w9cw.com
Sun Dec 28 20:54:33 EST 2014

As a Leading ET aboard a Sumner-class tin can back in the mid-'60s, I
can assure you the Collins AN/URC-32 HF transceiver needed the 7580W
tubes in the PA. Whenever the three twin-mount 5"/38 cal. guns, e.g. 6
guns, would fire in unison, the shock was rather significant.
Occasionally, when we'd fire a 6 gun salvo to port or starboard, it
would take a number of pieces of gear off-line, but never the URC-32.
We always used it for long-haul SSB links - ship to ship, or ship to
shore.  We had a HF transmitter - a Westinghouse AN/WRT-2 - dedicated to
the RTTY circuits using four 4CX300 tubes.

Our radiomen sometimes tuned the PA incorrectly , as well as the remote
antenna tuner, and yet the 7580A tubes never needed replacement in my 2
1/2 year tenure aboard ship.  Now, the 4X150A tubes in the UHF
transmitters (known as TEDs) were changed rather often.

Don W9CW