[Amps] Air temps leaving the amp.

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Mon Feb 3 03:09:46 EST 2014

Before working the 160M contest last week I put the digital
temperature probe I use for cooking meat in the oven into the air
flow from my amp just to see what temps I generate when running a
frequency.

The room temp is 68F and at idle the temp sits at 82 as it exits the
amp. Running pretty steady CQ and replying, the air temp gets up to
142 when I'm hot (pun intended) & heavy into the contest. According
to the specs n the Eimac sheet it gives the amount of air that needs
to be moved to handle 1500W anode dissipation as 38CFM to hold the
temperature below 225C (437F) at 50C (122F) ambient temp.

http://www.ok1rr.com/tubes/eimac/3CX1500A7.pdf

Since they don't give air exit temps in the data I don't know if my
142F means I need to speed up the blower or if all is well as is. I'd
rather keep the noise level low but would rather have more fan noise
than a burnt tube.

Idears?

73,

Gary, KA1J