[Amps] Solid State Relays Again

Jeff Blaine keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 10 12:55:19 EST 2014

I know from personal experience as well that you can zap those SSR in a
heart beat.  Zapped both the primary side and stepstart SSR in my small amp
when I had a tube glitch.  Those were new (and expensive) Crydom 50A/480V
units.  In my case, they both failed in a shorted condition.

Sure the sex and sizzle of the SSR is not in question.  But the risk of
failing in a shorted condition seems to me a serious problem if they are
expected to be relied on as part of a protection function.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie