[Amps] Solid State Relays Again

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Feb 10 22:50:35 EST 2014

On 2/10/2014 2:22 PM, TexasRF at aol.com wrote:
> Additionally, the step start R will alter the phase relationship as the
> load is primarily resistive when it is in the circuit.
>
> So, perhaps the more critical scenario is at switch off?

Having worked with SCRs and Triacs I'd much rather switch on at peak
power than switch off while drawing current.  The Collapse of the
magnetic field can produce a tremendous voltage kick, or back EMF.
It's my understanding that even transformers that are low voltage, high
current, if turned off while drawing much current can produce many times
their regular input voltage.

73

Roger (K8RI)