[Amps] Working on my Darwin award

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at wildblue.net
Sun Feb 23 00:42:28 EST 2014

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 2/22/2014 6:35 PM, Paul Christensen wrote:

> I could see a situation where if the Variac is left at a point just
> below the relay pull-in threshold, the resistors could bake open, even
> if they are fused.
>
> Paul, W9AC

REPLY:

That's a good point. The answer IMO is to do the variac ramp up quickly,
say in about two seconds or so. That should give you time to watch the
line current and HV. The ramp up should be to full power, i.e. don't
pause partway up.

If the step start resistors blow under that circumstance I'd say they
are under rated anyway.

73, Bill W6WRT