[Amps] Duty cycle for processed SSB in contest conditions?

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Feb 23 05:43:22 EST 2014

On 2/23/2014 2:00 AM, peter chadwick wrote:
> Roger said:
>

>> Only recently have SS rigs began to approach the IM figures of the old
> Collins S-Line.  Even some of the mighty expensive rigs have pretty
> crappy IM figures.<
>
> SM5BSZ has done some work on this, and let me use some of his data for my presentation at the RSGB Convention last year - which I called 'Spreading the Sewage' as 'Slinging the s**t' wouldn't have been acceptable! In it, I used an analysis of published equipment reviews back to 1972 (123 transmitters) to look at how the IMD performance of transmitters has degraded with the move to solid state. What is especially bad is the big increase in high order IMD, in some cases up to the 11th order. The rigs that were really clean were those Yaesu rigs where the PA could operate in a heat producing, lower power, very low IMD, Class A!
>
>> They have receivers that have passed the point of

Thanks Peter.

What amazes me is the number of hams who purchase these top end rigs,
then complain that they are nowhere as good a claimed/advertized. One
ham complained bitterly that he was trying to copy an S2 or 3 signal and
was swamped by a station about 2 or 3 KHz above him. The station was 20,
or 30 over and if you do the figures, he still had at least an S8 signal
"in his receiver's pass band".  I don't think we ever convinced him that
his receiver was not at fault  Get one of those many rigs with less than
30 db IM3 and high 5th and 7th order IM and they can swamp an S3 or 4
signal for quite a ways.

Take one of these rigs and compress the crap out of it and add a bit of
clipping...no, they compress the crap into the signal,(maybe with a bit
of clipping) and then run it through an over rated amp that is over
driven that adds even more IM products to a signal already loaded with them.

Really annoying are the rigs that use the ALC to set the output power.
At reduced power they need a signal fed back to limit the output.  That
generally results in a leading edge spike which really over drives a
high gain Tetrode.  Mis-tuned Tetrodes that are over driven plus a
leading edge spike. No wonder Tetrodes get a bad rap!

73,

Roger (K8RI)