[Amps] Fan Noise in GS-35b Amplifiers

Roger roger at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Feb 20 23:53:16 EST 2014

On 2/20/2014 9:59 AM, Jack C. Shutt wrote:
> Yes, water cooling would be really neat!  I understand that the GS-35a version of the tube has
a water-jacket, but you never see those for sale.  I have seen some home
brew examples for other
tubes, but it might be a little difficult to build my own water-jacket
and then.... how do you
  provide a water tight seal around the tube that will withstand the heat?

With that tube you could silver solder the jacket at the top and botton
or put grooved rims for o-rings at top and bottom.

You still need a fan to cool the ceramic to metal seals.

   I suppose a simple
fish tank pump and some plastic tubing would work for coolant
circulation and then maybe some sort
of small radiator or cooling tank to dissipate the heat.  Seems like it
would work if the details
could be worked out.

It doesn't take a lot of flow, but I doubt a fish tank pump would have
enough volume for the tube to run the legal limit.  5psi on 1/4" tubing
should be sufficient, but I've not run the figures.IIRC that info may be
in "The Handbook".

Don't forget the hoses/tubes in and out have to be long enough to keep
the leakage current down. Typically both tubes are wound 3 or 4 turns on
a form 1.5 or 2" form (or what ever is handy, larger than 1.5". You need
little pressure so 1/4" Tygon tubing should be sufficient.  Remember
that distilled and deionized water really like brass fittings so shut
the water off and let the system drain after cool down.  With clear
Tygon you can see any crud build up.

In systems that ran 24 X 7 we rarely made more than a year or two with
brass hose barbs. I don't know which metal was dissolved, but the
fittings took on a dull copper color and could be crushed easily between
your thumb and forefinger. We usually discovered the problem when the
connector failed and the hose blew off.  These were 1/2" with about 60
psi IIRC.  IOW, a failure was usually spectacular and messy. I don't
remember any of them arcing though.

When I went started there we were moving into (I think) 3 main
buildings. now it's grown a bit (43-26-08N X 84-09-53W) bout 3/4 of a sq
mile.  I don't even recognize anything...except the parking lot.

73

Roger (K8RI)