[Amps] Working on my Darwin award

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Feb 26 01:17:38 EST 2014

On 2/25/2014 5:18 PM, k7fm wrote:
> To add to Peter's list:
>
> 9.  Never set a 14" long crescent wrench on a 1700 amp-hour battery. You
> will need to change shorts and your crescent wrench will turn into
> molten balls about the size of BBs.

And once you drop it, don't try to grab and pull it off. You will lose a
LOT of hide. Painfully too. I accidentally shorted a loop of #10 copper
across a car battery. It vaporized before I could even start to open my
fingers. That was a deep cut, Thankfully it didn't get any Tendons. The
muscle regrew! But damn that hurt!

On a different note, I worked with Mass Spectrometers for a while.  I
don't know the rating of those BIG electromagnets, but if it tried to
take a wrench away, you just let have it.  It'd crush your hand
including bones.

They used  a large Tesla coil to vaporize samples, accelerated the ions
and shot them through 2 curved,charged plates about a foot long.  These
plates were between the poles of the magnet. The magnets (with windings)
weighed between a half ton and a ton.

This was done in a vacuum. They started with mechanical, rotary vane
pumps that'd make about 10^1 Torr. then the diffusion pumps sing silicon
705 oil to about 10^7. Then they switched to ion pumps (no exhaust, the
ions were absorbed in the base of the pump.)  I don't remember the
ultimate vacuum, but all O-rings were gold wire.  I kept the wire in a
plain old desk drawer under tools.  No one bothered the tools, and who
would keep a bunch of pure gold in a tool drawer.  I kept the Platinum
for the platinum, platinum/rhodium thermocouple wires in the same
drawer<:-)) I made a lot of thermocouples, from copper copper/constantan
(sp?) to the platinum.  I also did the silver plating as well.

BTW: In the early days, the entire reactor base plate (for making poly
crystalline Silicon) was solid silver.

73

Roger (K8RI)