[Amps] Cool Amp Silver Plating

Roger roger at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Feb 28 11:39:34 EST 2014

On 2/28/2014 9:42 AM, Hardy Landskov wrote:
> All,
> Has anyone used this power? If so, what is your opinion/facts of how your project turned out? Any special precautions needed?
> Thanks ahead of time.
> 73 Hardy N7RT

It is a flash plating and is very thin. If you polish it to look shiny
you can easily polish it right off to the base metal, so it is extremely
thin. probably no more than a few microns thick.  Easy to use on open
surfaces and a PITA to do coils. Better to do the tubing and then wind
the coil.
IIRC no special tools or precautions are necessary other than common
sense. NOTE. I used a lot of it, but it was in my early days as an
instrument tech. (early 1960's so take with a grain of salt) I also did
a lot of silver plating with both cyanide (smooth coat) and
nitrates(rough coat)

Electroplating works much better, but the chemicals are dangerous.
(silver cyanide) Can give off cyanide. Wear chemical gloves and face
shield and do in a fume hood, or properly ventilated area.