[Amps] Sampling RF at input and output of an amplifier

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Jan 16 07:45:07 EST 2014

>I want to use an oscilloscope to view the relative timing of the relays in
>my homebrew QSK system, and would like to be able to sample the RF as
>simply as possible. Absolute amplitude isn't important, but timing is. What
>is the minimalist approach?

Pete,

For quick QSK timing measurements, I often inductively couple the sample
point to the scope.  You can use a short coaxial jumper with BNC connectors
on both ends and connect one end to the scope, the other end to a
BNC-to-banana adapter.  Then, take an alligator clip test lead and wrap it
in close proximity to the sample point.  The lead ends are connected across
the adapter.

Unless you're sampling low power, there's often enough coaxial leakage to
just wrap the lead around the coaxial jumper.  Then, adjust the scope's
vertical amplifier to fill the display.  Generally, I can get good display
quality without much noise.  You may need to experiment with more or less
turns around the line.

Paul, W9AC