[Amps] Building an Amp 101

Bill dezrat1242 at wildblue.net
Fri Jan 17 11:46:02 EST 2014

On 01/17/2014 07:10 AM, Jerry wrote:
>   How does one break into this
> with limited workbench space other than an electronic workbench?

I don't want to rain on your parade, but let's be realistic. You can't
hope to rival the commercial builders unless you become one yourself.
Like you, I have always had a strong desire to build amplifiers and I
built six of them before I got it right. Each one a learning experience.

My last one is acceptable looking, but nobody will mistake it for a
commercially built amp. On the other hand, I used the absolutely best
parts I could find and designed it for continuous legal limit power
since I am a RTTY'er. In terms of power and reliability I will stack it
up against the best Alpha or anyone else has to offer. Was it worth it?
In terms of time and money, certainly not. But in terms of personal
satisfaction, you bet it was!

And I have one more amp to go. I want a solid state, legal limit,
brick-on-the-key amp and I think I can do it. As far as I know, no
commercial maker has one priced for the ham market so if I can get it
done right, this will be a first. But I will have paid quite a price for
all the experience I have gained.

Sorry for the rambling. Those are my thoughts. Hope this helps.

73, Bill W6WRT