[Amps] Permeability tuned tuning coils, with taps?

Saandy alexeban at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 15:22:36 EST 2014

Actually it is permeability tuning in reverse: inserting the slug decreases
inductance, but the net result is the same- moving the core changes the
inductance. The physical mechanism is different: in magnetic tuning the core
actually increase the permittivity of the magnetic circuit and allows a
higher level of magnetic flux to occur for a given inductor current.
With nonmagnetic core material the mechanism is based on the occurrence of
Foucault currents in the core that substract from the initial permittivity,
thus reducing the inductance.
Both  are viable, but the non magnetic core is lower loss at the higher and
microwave frequencies. You can't use magnetic cores there.
Alex	Z5KS