[Amps] Tour of an Analog TV Transmission Facility

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sat Jan 18 16:28:25 EST 2014

I watched that Australian YouTube host's tear down of one of the Rigol
spectrum analyzers before deciding to get a better look with a demo. I
got the version that played up to a few GHz for a week. It might be fine
for somebody on a budget ($few thousand), but didn't suit me for a
portable unit to look at pulsed amplifier output spectra. The control
firmware was buggy, would freeze up and the response was slow. I've been
using the HP 8651E, which is very heavy but a high quality old
workhorse. Last week, though, Anritsu came forth with their VNA-Master,
one up from their Site-Master portable analyzers. They are made in USA
at the old Wiltron factory in Morgan Hills, CA. The box was a combo
unit, a vector network analyzer and a spectrum analyzer, about the size
of a big city telephone book. It played to 20 GHz (I don't need that)
with 3.5 mm connectors (I needed N) but was versatile, accurate and
convenient. They have lower coverage units, with 4 GHz top end.

I measured a high order bandpass filter with it, and it was right on
with the manufacturers test data printout (from an Agilent machine). The
spectrum analyzer allowed me to see a transmitter harmonic that wasn't
possible on the 8651E due to its noise floor. Built-in GPS, Ethernet
port, Vector Voltmeter, TDR, power meter, S/A + VNA. A little pricy for
amateur test equipment, $15K, but considering what it replaced, is
excellent for a start up company, field test, broadcaster, or a ham who
has everthing. At work I need something to set up and install HPAs
without having to drag the benchtop Hp 8753 and 8651E for two
measurements. Anritsu might have just the thing.

John
K5PRO