[Amps] Reducing grid currents and improving gain

William Turner dezrat1242 at wildblue.net
Mon Jan 20 05:12:36 EST 2014

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

n 1/20/2014 12:35 AM, John Lyles wrote:
> A little tube history here:
> RCA designed and manufactured beam power tetrodes such as the 6L6,
> 807, and 829B to increase power output, allowing the plate voltage
> swing to go lower without a large increase in screen current during
> the minimum.

REPLY:

I was a fan of RCA engineering even back in the 50's when I was a kid
just getting into electronics. Not only tube design but TV, radio and
electronics in general. I remember their SyncroGuide system for
improving horizontal sync in TVs. They took a plain old sine wave of the
correct sync frequency, turned it into a spike and used that as a much
sharper trigger for the horizontal sweep. Outperformed anything on the
market, but now it's just a footnote to history. I wonder how many other
brilliant inventions of the time will be forgotten? I hope somebody is
keeping track.  :-)

Those guys way ahead of their time. I never met any of them but I do
admire them from afar.

Now the old RCA is just a fading memory. Wish I could have worked there.
Sigh.

73, Bill W6WRT