[Amps] MOVs

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sun Jan 26 01:05:56 EST 2014

I have had a pair of large Harris MOVs across my main panel to neutral
and line to line, for 21 years now. They are fed through a
double pole breaker and there is a relay that fires a sonarlert if the
breaker trips. We get some great lightning locally during
summer monsoon season, and I haven't had any equipment failures that I
know about. Only once has the breaker tripped. I knew it when I came
home from work, the sonalert was sounding.

If they do fail open, then I would stand to be unprotected.

Professionally, I use more Transorbs (from companies like OnSemi and
Microsemi). They are superior to back to back zeners for transient spike
clamping.

73
John
K5PRO