[Amps] Old HP analyzer needs some repair

Pete Lancashire pete at petelancashire.com
Thu Jul 17 14:39:50 EDT 2014

The 4191A and a few other made by HP Japan from that time seem to be
failing at an much more frequent rate. The 4274/5A LCR bridges are a
great example. In the past couple years I've found not only bad caps
but a whole slew of bad OP-Amps. The 4274/5A's and the 4191A where
made at the same time and on the same production floor.

They are a pretty complicated beast to fix. And to pay someone who has
the knowledge to repair it would be quite a bit.

I'd suggest downloading the service manual that's on the Agilent
website and look it over. It's a really bad copy but at least one can
decide if it is something
you will want to tackle.

Saying that what are the reading when you put in a 50 ohm load ?

My 4191A is dead for a different reason, it was bought knowing it had
a blown front end. I have access to one about 20 miles away so I'm not
in a rush.

-pete