[Amps] Ion Pump

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Jul 21 08:06:33 EDT 2014

On 7/21/2014 5:37 AM, Ian White wrote:
> That same Wikipedia article quotes 10^-7 to 10^-10 torr as being typical
> for vacuum tubes. This is consistent with a value of 10^-8 that I'd
> heard from another source.
>
> It is also consistent with John's comment that pressures higher than
> about 10^-7 torr will lead to problems with arcing, while anything lower
Although we're talking 30 years ago and techniques we used  have likely
changed, anything beyond 1 X 10^-7 was very difficult to acquire, time
consuming, and required gold O-rings

Any volatiles were a disaster and only a few of us were allowed to work
on the equipment.

73

Roger  (K8RI).
> than 10^-10 requires special techniques that are time-consuming,
> expensive and not suited to mass production.

<snip a whole bunch>

---