[Amps] SB-200 input.

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Jul 24 21:20:43 EDT 2014

The SB-200 was designed years before untuned SS rigs became common and the
input networks were approximations for pi net tuned tube finals that didnt
mind a 2:1 VSWR, especially on 20 and up.

Tuned inputs provide the flywheel effect that makes the tubes easier to
drive and improves IMD 5-10dB.

There are a couple of web sites that change a few components for better
matches. One is just a bunch of hot air but I dont remember which but the
best one just increases the cap values a bit on 10 and 15.

The PA0 site is another one thats a bit off the wall.

Melted output wafer contacts will often destroy the inputs as they attempt
to act as 100W dummy loads. Stuck slugs are often a sign that it has cracked
from heat.

Carl
KM1H