[Amps] Cool Amp Silver Plating

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sat Mar 1 00:33:51 EST 2014

On 2/28/2014 8:51 PM, Fuqua, Bill L wrote:
>    I know cyanide is used in gold plate solution but not aware of it silver plating.
> It seems that silver chloride is the main ingredient.

Silver chloride is used in ion exchange, or flash plating. It may be
used in electroplating, but  I never used it in electroplating.

Silver cyanide is used in smooth electroplating, (electronic and
decorative) the most common form of plating..

Silver Nitrate is also used in electroplating, but produces a rough,
crystalline surface and is only used in industry AFAIK.

Cyanide solutions are dangerous!  Extremely dangerous. It only takes a
drop of something acetic to release cyanide gas which is odorless and
colorless. Observe all safety precautions in the MSDS for the chemicals
used and use in a properly ventilated area.  I did all my work in a fume
hood.

I did all the silver plating for the company I worked for in the early
days, a good 50 years ago.

73

Roger (K8RI)