[Amps] More on Toroidal Tank Circuit Issues

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sat Mar 22 08:52:49 EDT 2014

Jim,

Self resonance in a coil is generally from the middle of the coil to
surroundings, or from a middle area to the ends.

It is NOT across the whole winding. That would be a harmless parallel
resonance. You will not shift the resonance much that way.

The mechanism is just like an RF choke series resonance:

http://www.w8ji.com/rf_plate_choke.htm

Two things you can do is minimize excitation of the toroid by shorting it
with a very low impedance short and moving it out of the intense fields
around the tank components, or add a center tap that you also short when not
using the toroid (so you have an end-to-end-to-center short.

You also can spread the turns at the midway point to make an air gap, which
will move resonance up.

You are having a common problem with large inductors. This is why large
rollers cause problems and burn up near ten meters, and why GOOD band
switches should be progressively shorting pick up and  hold contacts.

Test your toroid like I show a choke is tested in that link, and you will
see the issue.

73 Tom