[Amps] Alpha 77 160 meter plate choke

Tree tree at kkn.net
Mon Mar 24 14:17:59 EDT 2014

All -

I have made a mod to my Alpha 77 to add about 60 uH to the RF plate choke
when on 160 meters.  I originally was going to mount a switch to control a
HV relay - but came up with a better solution.  If you are interested in
knowing more - check out the pictures here:

http://www.kkn.net/n6tr/directories.html

Look under Alpha 77Dx.  The relay was purchased from Henry Radio.  It has a
26.5 volt coil which seems to work just fine off of the +24 volt regulated
power in the amp.

I added a 4700 pf 6KV cap from the HV to ground which you can see in the
pictures.

I am not sure this makes a big difference - but I certainly feel better
about using the amp on 160 with this mod.

73 Tree N6TR