[Amps] complicated Bias circuit

MU 4CX250B 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Sun May 4 22:22:36 EDT 2014

Paul,
In standby, the 24V from T2 just biases the tube(s) to cutoff. R20 by
itself would almost do this, but without the 24V there would still be
some small cathode current in standby which could generate noise. When
the amp is operating, the 24V biases the Zener diode that establishes
the tube operating bias. R22 sets the bias current through the Zener
diode. Without the 24V, the tube cathode current would bias the Zener
diode, but the regulation would suffer (causing non-linearity) at low
currents. The 24V eliminates that possibility.

It strikes me as a bit odd that, since the designers went to the
trouble of building a 24V power supply, that they didn't just go ahead
and implement electronic bias switching, which facilitates QSK
operation.
73,
Jim W8ZR

Sent from my iPhone