[Amps] Using computer CPU coolers on GI46b triode ?

Kevin Stover kevin.stover at mediacombb.net
Fri May 9 08:04:19 EDT 2014

On 5/9/2014 5:40 AM, Jonathan White wrote:
> Hi.
>   Can anyone care to give any thoughts on using this tube sold without its
> cooler, the seller said Russian hams were using CPU heat exchangers, with
> cooling fans.
>   73`s Jon G8CCL.

I'd like to see how they interface the CPU heat sink to the tube.
One of the things that makes a CPU heat sink work is the fact that it is
clamped, with some considerable force, to the CPU socket and the use of
metal bearing heat sink compounds on two flat surfaces. Aren't the
plates of ceramic/metal tubes domed?

The heat sink on my quad core cpu is about four inches square of very
thin copper fins soldered to copper heat risers (tubes) which are
soldered to a flat copper heat spreader. The whole shooting match gets a
120mm speed controlled fan which blows air through the copper fins. This
is an aftermarket heat sink. The ones that come with the processor are
barely adequate.

In my old overclocking days we used to lap grind heat sinks and CPU heat
spreaders to make them as flat as possible. We'd get an Intel Pentium
Celeron 300A running at 300 MHz overclocked to 450 MHz, a 50% speed
increase. Of course Intel hated it because everybody bought the 300A's
and overclocked rather than buying the much more expensive Pentium II
450 processors.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H