[Amps] Rigol DMM

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Mon May 12 09:13:07 EDT 2014

> "Agilent 6-1/2 digit 34460A ($945) and its upscale version, the 34461A
> ($1085)."

Jim,

Saw the new DMM model when I recently upgraded to an Agilent series DSO-X
scope.   Keep an eye on pricing from Newark.  If you're not in a rush, they
often have late summer discounts on Agilent gear.

The speed of the continuity check in Dave's video is about the same as my
Keithley 2100.  Good, not great, but certainly better than I've seen in a
Keithley 2110 video.  The best continuity test of all my DMMs comes from a
bench-top Fluke 45 and the handheld 8060A (still my favorite DMM of all
time).  Each uses a form of hardware one-shot so that even the most brief
probe contact results in a beep of about 100 ms.

BTW, some genius (or Agilent insider) found a way to hack the Agilent
DSO/MSO-X series scopes to get about $4K in extra options just by altering a
few lines of code in a couple Windows .dll files.   The files even open up
the scope to a 16-lead MSO.  The files are edited, then placed on a fast
flash drive.   The scope then boots up from the USB flash drive to get the
extra features.   The file is a security check of about 500MB of data.  In
the middle of it all is a one byte hex code sequence that opens up all
options.  It's the proverbial "finding a needle in a hay stack."  So, it
either takes a company informant, or someone really proficient with a data
line sniffer.   For a DSO, I highly recommend the Agilent DSO-X/MSO-X
series, especially when found during a promotional discount.  They've done a
great job of creating variable intensity grading that mimics a good 'ole
fashion phosphor screen.   I've had the comparable Rigol DS-4000 series
side-by-side and the Agilent display is significantly better.

Paul, W9AC