[Amps] HV Diodes

Carl km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com
Wed Oct 8 11:36:34 EDT 2014

I wouldnt use smaller than a string of 1N5408's as they have a much higher
surge current capability as the rather obsolete 1N4007 in the era of much
higher filter cap C and dirty AC utility lines.

The diode leads are the heat sink and a minimum of 1/2" in free air is
recommended by the manufacturers. Ive no idea how potting would modify that.
My own method is to simply mount them on perf board when possible and thats
easy in the Alpha 77DX in place of the "petrified blocks".

Carl
KM1H