[Amps] HV Diodes

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Oct 16 16:14:35 EDT 2014

Manfed,

Regarding Alpha, the 77Sx (dual 8877) uses a quad set of Semtech SCH5000
modules rated at only 5KV/0.5A.  The current rating is increased to 1A
with forced-air cooling.  I¹m sure these have failed owners at one time or
another but they seem to have held up well for most 77/70 amp owners.  If
mine ever blow, they¹ll get upgraded to slightly better specs at that time
but nothing greater than the equivalent of six 1N5408 types per leg.

I¹m all for ³super-sizing² components, but not until a circuit¹s minimum
safe limits are calculated.    Over-sizing for the sake of over-sizing
seems like a lazy way to impress friends!

Paul, W9AC