[Amps] Solid State Amps

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sat Oct 18 20:37:37 EDT 2014

On 10/18/2014 1:23 PM, Manfred Mornhinweg wrote:
> Chris,
I think that even the displays for smart phones and hand held devices
are generic.  It's the drivers that are custom.  In essence they are
nothing more than a miniature computer monitor screen. Why not use the
same for displays in ham rigs.

HRD and SDRs use a generic computer screen to display a rather elaborate
display.  I'd prefer the LCDs with an LED light source. They can produce
characters of a very high definition.  Small, generic LCD screens could
be produced for pennies, or at most, a few dollars as you can now
purchase a 40" smart HD TV receiver for $300-$400.  There are relatively
inexpensive video driver chips and generators that could replace the
displays on many high end rigs if the rigs were designed in such a way
as to not require custom displays, but few purchase rigs with
sustainability in mind.  Even if we did, there is little on the market
that would qualify and that goes well beyond the displays.  How many
transistors used in SS rigs over the last two decades are no longer
available?

However, HRD and other Graphical interfaces can replace most of the
front panel, let alone the individual  displays on today's rigs.  If
using HRD you might not even notice a failed, non essential display.
The problem is physically replacing any display on today's rigs.  Those
displays and drivers are produced in batches.  Once it's no longer
financially a viable option to purchase those batches, the rigs days are
numbered as for resale

73

Roger (K8RI)