[Amps] Alpha 8410 using 4CX1500B - why?

Vic Rosenthal 4X6GP/K2VCO k2vco.vic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 03:16:11 EDT 2014

I believe the difference between the 1w grid dissipation rating of the
1500 and the 0w of the 1000 isn't significant and may only be a matter
of how the engineers decided to present it on the data sheet.

The 1500 has a different grid structure that is designed to produce
lower IMD than the 1000 (which is no slouch in that respect itself).

When operated according to specs the 1500 does produce less output than
the 1000 because it is less efficient. Hence the utility of additional
plate dissipation.

Incidentally, the Chinese 4CX100As sold by Alpha have the same kind of
anode cooler as the 1500s -- there is more fin area -- and so may have
more reserve plate dissipation.

On 28 Oct 2014 23:32, Prem wrote:
> The first thing that comes to my mind is, the grid dissipation is 0W
> (4CX1000A), and the plate dissipation is lower than a 4CX1500B.
>
> I'm not sure about the o/p being lower in the 4CX1500B; should be higher as
> per specs.
>
> 73,
> Prem.
>
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Peter Sils via Amps <amps at contesting.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I recently acquired a slightly used 8410 (mfg 3/2014). I was surprised to
>> learn it had 4CX1500B tubes rather than the 4CX1000A's.
>>
>> Looking at the RF Concepts website for tubes I notice the price is lower
>> on the 4CX1000A ($475) than the 4CX1500B ($525).
>>
>>  From what I have gathered the drive requirement is higher and the output
>> is lower.
>>
>> Can anyone shed light on why Alpha chose to go with the 4CX1500B's?
>>

>> TNX in advance of your insights!
>>
>> 73 Peter
>> KD0AA

Vic, 4X6GP/K2VCO