[Amps] Alpha 8410 using 4CX1500B - why?

KA4INM radio ka4inm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 17:57:33 EDT 2014

   On 10/29/14 17:03, Manfred Mornhinweg wrote:

> This last contest weekend I was at the CE6TC contest site. It was a two
> station setup, one equipped with an Alpha 89, the other with a Ten Tec.
> Both amps worked great, but the streams of hot air blown out by the
> amps, overheating the room, are a testimony to how antiquated that
> technology is. Overall there was more heat than RF power. I really think
> we need something better.

   I have always contended the Push pull class "B" "cross neutralized"
RF amplifier to be the most *overall* efficient amplifier configuration
available to us.
You must consider the key up power consumption when considering
*overall* efficiency.  I prefer using tetrodes in this configuration.
The only problem is band switching is awkward and difficult.  It is
perfect for single band amplifiers.
In this configuration the tubes are individually biased on SLIGHTLY to
compensate for the crossover distortion, in this case it is still being
operated Class "B."
--
   Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                 Every action results in unwanted side effects.